Monday, January 09, 2006

Coming Of Age Day

Hi!!
It's still cold in Japan.

Today is 成人の日 [Sejin No hi].
It means Coming Of Age Day.It's national holiday. (yahoo!)
In Japan,young people are officially regarded as adults when they reach the age og 20.

There is a ceremony each local government unit.
They dresses up in their best when attending that ceremony.
It started in 1946.
And,Japanese government decided to the national holiday 15th January from 1949.
And then,changed that day the second Monday in January since 2000.
Because of happy Monday. (make 3 days-off.)
So,now that ceremony hold today. (or some places yesterday)
But,some prefectures hold that ceremony in summer.
Because,there are some prefectures, what many young people go to city side to working
. It's easy to come back in summer.

However,there were many accidents at that ceremony recent years.
They had bit riot. Perhaps,they drank alcohol...
I hope nothing problem in this year...

Have anice day!!

P.S. I wrote about the seven herbs at 6th January as I thought 7th January,last post. I was silly, haha. 

4 comments:

pallaver said...

hi!! I just got back from Thailand, though all of our pictures are on my friend's external hard drive, so won't get any of them up.

Posted comments show up in my inbox for my hotmail account, so yep, I read them.

I was invited actually to a "coming of age" party but seeing as I returned the evening of the 9th, I was unable to make it. Shame I didn't hear about it earlier, else I would've changed my flight plans to make it, but then again, I should've wondered why there was no school on that Monday...

okyan said...

>pallaver
Oh!! Welcome back Japan!!!!!
It's a pity that your trip's photos on your friend's computer....
I'd like to see the photos... I hope you put on even a few photos.

You were invited to a Coming Of Age ceremony...
I'm no sure you would have enjoy there. haha.
But,you would have enjoy to see dressed up young people!!

Any way,I'm glad you enjoyed Thailand trip.
I'll check for your blog!!!!!

pallaver said...

pics won't be up for anytime soon, until my friend gets all of them onto a DVD and distributed out to us.

all of us total took 15 gigs worth of pictures though, so I'll put some up online, but obviously to put them all up online is impossible.

give me a good couple of weeks for this one to go down most likely!

okyan said...

>pallaver
I guess it's a fun that you'll see all of photos at DVD!!!
How many photos 15 gigs?? Must be a lot of photos!!!!!!

I read your about Thailand at your blog!!!
I'm looking forward to reading if you write about there another post.

Have a nice day!!!!